REFINING HEALTHCARE DATA FOR ANALYTICS, AUDITING, & COORDINATION
Medal started out as a platform to refine health data. Their missions was to reduce clutter and inefficient workflows by extracting necessary patient data and feeding it into a network that could help providers give better care by sharing non-PHI information.
I was brought onto the team to:
Assist in updating the Medal brand style
Design new features for the Medal App
Own the product design cycle for the API Integration Portal
Lead user research efforts to better understand pain-points and how to improve on existing features
In preparation for our booth presence at HIMSS 2018, it was imperative that we had a cohesive brand to represent us on our website and marketing collateral. I didn't want to stray too far from the roots of the brand, so I kept the core colors and the logo the same.
When I started as the sole designer at Medal, it was brought to my attention that the visual design of the brand needed a bit of work. The brand had a modern, yet clinical feel. At the time, we wanted to make the brand more empathetic, warm, inviting - human.
I started by creating a sprite sheet. Sprite sheets were an old tool I used during my short stint at developing mobile games where I needed to create animations for characters, but needed to save time by creating pre-fabricated components. This modular strategy allowed me to create a wide variety of illustrations in a matter of minutes.
Here are some examples of "complete" humans that can also be found on Medal's website. As the brand evolved, I started to create different outfits to cater to our non-clinician audience.
To blend our more abstract concepts with our human illustrations, I experimented with the color palettes.
We started using an intricate diagram of our platform, which featured all sorts of colors, shapes, and lines. It was a far stretch from anything our brand had tried, but it also demonstrated our evolution as a company.
Business goals evolved, and we were now going to be shipping out API as a product. To me, it was a challenge trying to visualize what "data" or "API" could even look like.
In the end, this was a fun exercise in harmonious color and style integration. I included these in our asset library for teams to use in their presentations - and maybe eventually, to use in our website.